- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced, or two packages peeled and sliced butternut squash
- 1 32 oz vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- If you like nutmeg, it is delicious in this soup!
- Non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place onion and butternut squash on a cookie sheet sprayed with non stick spray.
- Carefully place on the top rack and roast for about twenty minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip over onions and squash and add one sliced apple.
- Roast an additional 15 minutes or until cooked through and tender.
- Carefully remove from oven and add to a medium sized saucepan.
- Pour broth over squash mixture until just covered.
- Heat on medium heat until warm
- Add in cup of coconut milk.
- Transfer to a blender to puree or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- If using a blender, fill about 3/4 full and make sure top is on securely and puree until smooth.
- If it is too chunky, you can add a little broth or coconut milk to it to make it easier to blend.
- Add to a bowl or if saving it, to portioned containers, then continue adding to blender until all the soup is blended.
- Ladle into bowls to serve or place back on saucepan to keep warm on low heat until ready to eat
- Top with freshly grated nutmeg if desired.
You can buy the butternut squash in the produce isle already peeled and cut up. Try to use it within a few days of buying, as it will not last as long as a fresh butternut squash.
If you buy cubed frozen butternut squash, you can heat in the microwave and skip the oven. Just cook the onion and apple in the saucepan until soft and then add the butternut and broth.
You can also use an immersion blender. This is a blender that you can use right in the pan you are cooking in. It is much neater and a lot less work!
All the ingredients are very healthy and nutritious for you. Soups are a great way to eat your vegetables while keeping you warm on a cold winter day. You can leave out the coconut milk, but it does add a nice creaminess to the recipe.
Vegetable soups like these are great for you and are excellent for weight loss since they are filling, low calorie, and very healthy!