Vegan Bolognese Sauce
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
or 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
or 1 Tablespoon jarred minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 diced red peppers
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of Nutritional yeast, if desired, can be added for a cheesy flavor
Place diced onions, peppers and garlic in a medium saucepan and cook on medium for 1-2 minutes.
Once they start to get soft and a bit dry, add the mushrooms, stirring occasionally.
Once cooked through, add in the can of crushed tomatoes, or if you prefer a chunkier sauce, use whole peeled tomatoes.
Add in seasonings.
Stir to mix completely, then cook covered for at least 15 minutes on low.
The longer you cook, the richer the flavors will become.
- Sautéing the onions and garlic without olive oil also saves fat and calories.
- The mushrooms give the dish a bit of the savory taste you would normally get from a meat-based bolognese.
- The sauce can be served over traditional pasta, but for a healthy spin, try serving over frozen or fresh vegetable noodles like zucchini and butternut. This recipe was cooked with the hearts of palm noodles pictured here in a can. The whole can is 60 calories and 12g of carbs and 6 g of fiber. A serving of pasta (only 1/8 of the box!) is 200 calories, 43g of carbs and only 3g of fiber!