- 1 can black eyed peas or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag organic frozen corn, thawed or freshly cut cooked corn when in season
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced or 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced (I added a little of both here)
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime or 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- Up to 2 tablespoons honey- add last only if needed
- Mix together and enjoy!
The original recipe, called Texas Caviar, calls for ½ cup sugar and ½ cup olive oil! A healthy avocado is used instead of the oil, and a small amount of honey takes the place of the sugar. Rice vinegar, since it is milder than cider vinegar, needs less oil and sugar to balance it out it’s tartness. Taste before adding the honey to see if you even need it. I like using the vinegar I have pictured here.